Sunday, March 24, 2013

EINA (Everyone in Need of Assistance??)


It seems that many people who have commented previously work for schools that have been identified as SINA schools. (Schools in Need of Assistance) We have recently been identified as a SINA school as well, and are beginning all of the paperwork, interviewing, etc. In 2014 any school that does not have 100% proficiency will automatically be on the list. It’s basically inevitable that every school in Iowa will be a SINA school unless the law changes. First of all, I’m all about high expectations for students, but we all know that students come to us with various challenges. It is absolutely unfeasible for 100% of students to be proficient in any area and anyone in education would agree. And by saying so, that absolutely doesn't mean I don't expect the world of my students. Secondly, tell me again how all of the money spent on these interviews and paperwork (when our school is at 79% proficiency in reading, and if you ask me, isn’t too shabby) is doing anything to help the lowest 21%? This teacher will welcome some practical change.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I completely agree that no school is ever going to have 100% proficiency. It's hard for me to fathom that anyone would even consider that as possible. I have never heard of SINA schools. Is that just something in Iowa? Interesting post! I am going to add you to my list of blogs I enjoy. Please follow me on my blog! http://atenderteacherforspecialneeds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete